Author: Subject: Salifert Magnesium test kit - Help on instruction
raffles
Extreme Chui Sui

Mood: nano reef

Awards

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 10:25 Reply With Quote
Salifert Magnesium test kit - Help on instruction

Seniors,

I ordered my test kit as aboved to check my Mg levels.
Wanted to elevate the Mg concentration to 1700ppm to rid GHA and bryopsis.

Now I am at a crossroad with different set of instructions on it's usage.

first, the LFS that I ordered from can hardly be reached by phone after getting yr order. (biasalah)

secondly, the instruction manual is in Holland and German lingo.

third, I searched the net for instructions and came up with different set of instructions.

*2ml tank water, 4 drops Mg-1, 1 spoon Mg-2
 http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/salifert-magnesium-instructions-112511.html

*3ml tank water, 6 drops Mg-1, 1 spoon Mg-2
 http://www.petstore.com/test_kits_salifert_magnesium_information-ap.html

I tried the 3ml guide as per the German lingo instruction from my test kit set and tested around the 1800ppm mark (3 times). So this should be wrong else my GHA will be gone at these higher levels.

Therefore, if anyone can pls point out the correct guide to use this salifert test kit please advise so others who have been using the manual/instruction can be aware of and act correctly.

I'm certain some users must had got it wrong before with these instruction.

AND ... has anyone managed to rid GHA and byropsis using Kent Marine's Tech-M ? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member raffles's Yahoo
jumper_twh
Normal Member

Mood: Scuba Fever

Awards

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 10:35 Reply With Quote

Mine says 2ml, 4 drops, 1 spoon/scoop...
I can photocopy for you if u want...I got the english one...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/jumper_twh/Aquarium/07062010374-2.jpg
tailek
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

Awards

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 12:12 Reply With Quote

The latest Salifert Mag test kit does not have English instructions. Nevertheless it should be as jumper said , 2ml-4 drops-1 scoop.

I have not tried using Kent Marine Tech-M on bryopsis but so far a few have used it successfully . According to feedback from those who used elevated Mag to fight bryopsis the Kent Tech-M is more effective than others. Not sure about the effect of elevated Mag on HA though.

Current tank conditions : 48x24x24 in 100 gal 7x54wT5, ATI BM200 skimmer, Polyplab Reefresh carbon dosing with zeovit supplements Vortech mp40 & Tunze 6101 wavemakers.
raffles
Extreme Chui Sui

Awards

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 00:34 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by tailek
The latest Salifert Mag test kit does not have English instructions. Nevertheless it should be as jumper said , 2ml-4 drops-1 scoop.

I have not tried using Kent Marine Tech-M on bryopsis but so far a few have used it successfully . According to feedback from those who used elevated Mag to fight bryopsis the Kent Tech-M is more effective than others. Not sure about the effect of elevated Mag on HA though.

Jumper : Thanks for the offer. I will print from the web as it's easier.

Tailek : Thanks for your input.
If it's 2ml and 4 drops, then the current German Instruction guide also wrong! as it states 3ml and 6 drops.
I hope LFS will advise their clients unless they are ignorant of it too.
Yeah, I read up at RC and other sites and there are many successes on the use of Tech-M for bryopsis control.

Just tested again as per your advise 2ml, 4 drops and upon the turn of colour from pink-purple to greyish blue the reading was 0.20 hence read 1200ppm. (If my current Mg is so low, golly I have to use quite a few bottles of Tech-M to bring it up to 1600ppm.)

I am also not too sure when to stop dripping Mg-3 as it is very subjective in the colour codings. Should we stop as soon as it turns greyish or continue dripping till it turns light clear blue? (the manual instruction of Salifert's do not give a firm indication of colour.)
So hard to determine an accurate reading. duuh.gif

I'm on the 3rd day of dosing 25ml daily (which is below the recommended dosage) and already 2 of my rics and 2 MRM melted. Another 4 rics are showing signs of shrinkage. Others are fine.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member raffles's Yahoo
tailek
Super Moderator

Awards

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 10:10 Reply With Quote

Always follow the instructions that come with the test kit be it in German or English. Manufacturers may change instructions because of upgrade or other reasons.

Ur mag level may not be as bad as u thought . If corals are reacting negatively then there is no reason to continue dosing. I would suggest a proper ID of the pest algae (GHA or bryopsis?) before adding Mag. I don't recall reading any successful story of elevated Mag on GHA . On the other hand higher pH will discourage some algae growth especially the pest dinoflagellates.

The turning point of the salifert Mag test is the first grey color in my experience.

Current tank conditions : 48x24x24 in 100 gal 7x54wT5, ATI BM200 skimmer, Polyplab Reefresh carbon dosing with zeovit supplements Vortech mp40 & Tunze 6101 wavemakers.
raffles
Extreme Chui Sui

Awards

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 12:39 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Always follow the instructions that come with the test kit be it in German or English. Manufacturers may change instructions because of upgrade or other reasons.

Ur mag level may not be as bad as u thought . If corals are reacting negatively then there is no reason to continue dosing. I would suggest a proper ID of the pest algae (GHA or bryopsis?) before adding Mag. I don't recall reading any successful story of elevated Mag on GHA . On the other hand higher pH will discourage some algae growth especially the pest dinoflagellates.

The turning point of the salifert Mag test is the first grey color in my experience.

If I were to follow the new instructions as per my test kit (exp 2014), then all my 3 readings are in the 1800ppm zone.
Don't think it's correct.
My salt mix is a combo of RedSea Pro & H20.

I have more GHA 80% than Bryopsis 20%.
They're not a lot now but I can't tolerate the look of algae and wish to nip the issue from the start. Will be manually plucking out every strand starting this evening with the help of the domestic helper of course. hehe.

I had considered elevating pH to 8.6 but chose the Mag route instead as I did not want to take out the risk on my Zoas.
tailek
Super Moderator

Awards

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 13:48 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by raffles
Quote:

If I were to follow the new instructions as per my test kit (exp 2014), then all my 3 readings are in the 1800ppm zone.

They're not a lot now but I can't tolerate the look of algae and wish to nip the issue from the start. Will be manually plucking out every strand starting this evening with the help of the domestic helper of course. hehe.

I had considered elevating pH to 8.6 but chose the Mag route instead as I did not want to take out the risk on my Zoas.

I have a feeling u are using an expired older version (before 2008) which uses 3 ml & 6 drops . Expiring stickers are pasted on & can be easily changed. Suggest u go back to the LFS & buy the latest Salifert Mag test kit with the 2 ml/ 4 drops instructions unless they have come out with a new version based on 3ml & 6 drops again.

GHA & bryopsis are tough to eliminate. Manual removal with filter socks to catch the fines plus short photoperiod or without lighting for 1 or 2 days will help to retard their growth. HTH

raffles
Extreme Chui Sui

Awards

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 22:02 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a feeling u are using an expired older version (before 2008) which uses 3 ml & 6 drops . Expiring stickers are pasted on & can be easily changed. Suggest u go back to the LFS & buy the latest Salifert Mag test kit with the 2 ml/ 4 drops instructions unless they have come out with a new version based on 3ml & 6 drops again.

GHA & bryopsis are tough to eliminate. Manual removal with filter socks to catch the fines plus short photoperiod or without lighting for 1 or 2 days will help to retard their growth. HTH

I received my order of Salifert test kits and Tech-M four days ago. The expiry dates on each of the test kits show years 2013 & 2014.

Thanks for the advise bro.
ketam_batu
No Life

Mood: hibernate

Awards

[*] posted on 6-2-2011 at 10:33 Reply With Quote

the test kit I got from RA lucky draw with expiry date 9/12 have both english and german instruction.

it is 2ml and 4 drop.

additional notes from the instruction says : This is new version and reagents from previous versions in which 3 ml sample had to be used can no longer be used with this new version

haven't try the test kit yetlol.gif
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger ketam_batu's Yahoo
raffles
Extreme Chui Sui

Awards

[*] posted on 6-2-2011 at 17:15 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by ketam_batu
the test kit I got from RA lucky draw with expiry date 9/12 have both english and german instruction.

it is 2ml and 4 drop.

additional notes from the instruction says : This is new version and reagents from previous versions in which 3 ml sample had to be used can no longer be used with this new version

wow..
my newly purchased shows expiry date 2014, yet the instruction manual which is in German at 3ml and 6 drops.

yikes. could it be the manufacturer's print error or...... question. hmm
tailek
Super Moderator

Awards

[*] posted on 6-2-2011 at 21:36 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ketam_batu

it is 2ml and 4 drop.

wow..
my newly purchased shows expiry date 2014, yet the instruction manual which is in German at 3ml and 6 drops.

yikes. could it be the manufacturer's print error or...... question. hmm

U can do some tests to check which instruction is correct by performing some tests on freshly mixed salt of well known brands such as DD H2O (about 1380 ppm Mg), IO (about 1200ppm Mg) & Red Sea Coral Pro (about 1300 ppm Mg).

ketam_batu
No Life

Mood: hibernate

Awards

[*] posted on 7-2-2011 at 10:25 Reply With Quote

just for batch comparison, my Mg-3 is 0809-B, Mg-1 0809-B, Mg-2 0709-F, if you have different batch yours could be 3/6.

I agree with tailek to follow the instruction came with the box.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger ketam_batu's Yahoo
Reverend
Posting Freak

Mood: water change and nothing else

Awards

[*] posted on 7-2-2011 at 12:05 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by rafflesI'm on the 3rd day of dosing 25ml daily (which is below the recommended dosage) and already 2 of my rics and 2 MRM melted. Another 4 rics are showing signs of shrinkage. Others are fine.

These negative signs should suggest you stop the Mg dosing.

I used to have green hair algae problem. Wasn't a really big problem but they're pretty unsightly. For me, I was lucky coz I could remove my rocks, which I did and I scrubbed them hard. Then when I put the rocks back into tank, I put them upside down (thus minimizing amount of light on the algae side of the rocks). After 2 weeks, I turned the rocks back to their original side up. Then I bought a few turbo snails and a sailfin tang that walloped all the remaining short GHAs left :)
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Planet Aquatics